Expert Packing Advice for Moving House
14/08/17 | Advice and Tips
So the time has finally arrived to pack up, box, wrap, donate and organize all of your treasured belongings and memories. Packing your entire household items is no easy task. Be under no illusions that the pre-packing process is simple and straightforward. Particularly if you are juggling a job and children during the ‘peak stress period’ of acquiring your new property.
Here at Aaltonen, we offer to remove the stress, not only from Moving but pre-packing also. Our crew will arrive a day or two before the move and professionally pack all your precious items leaving you with the necessities until we set you up entirely in your home.
Here at Aaltonen, we understand all too well the pressure and stress that comes with moving house. That is why we offer to provide you with FREE packing materials provided you choose Aaltonen to move your belongings. If you are on a cost-saving budget and you wish to pack yourself, we will still offer you our packing materials free of charge along with our advice as follows –
• DO NOT LEAVE PACKING UNTIL LAST MINUTE. Never leave packing until the day/night before the move! Organisation is key. If you are going to pack yourself we suggest you begin about 3-4 weeks before your move date. If you are working during the day, it is a good idea to spend maybe an hour or two every night organizing what you are going to Sell, Donate or Discard. Remember, the cost of your move largely depends on your overall volume of furniture and items.
So if you wish to keep costs down, you need to be a little bit ruthless and part with ‘stuff’ that you really do not need. Attics, lofts, basements, garages, and sheds can be very deceiving as you do not realise the sheer volume of ‘stuff’ you are storing there throughout the years. Typically if you are storing it for many years and it has no sentimental value, you have to ask yourself, “do I really need this”? “Will I really miss this”? If not, then its best to part ways with it. Keep your price down and also it is an added bonus if you can sell some items before your move.
• GET PACKING. The sooner you get the packing materials, the sooner you can begin to de-clutter and organise your living space. Should you choose Aaltonen for your upcoming move, we will provide you with our free packing materials typically between 2-3 weeks from your move date.
If you are managing your work hours and children then I would suggest you set aside a few hours a night. I would also suggest you bring in some extra help. If the kids can help, let them! Make them part of the move, give them the responsibility of packing the unbreakables such as their toys, books or photo albums.
• REDUCE YOUR FOOD SHOPPING. If your move is a two-day move you are going to want to reduce your food shopping the week before. Try to consume it throughout the week before moving day. Fridge freezers will have to be defrosted the day before if you are moving to a destination which you are traveling over a long distance.
• LEAVE THE BREAKABLES TO US. If you are particularly nervous about packing fragile breakables and family heirlooms, why not leave to our trained professionals. We can provide a partial packing service in which we only pack the items that you are not comfortable packing yourself.
• MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH BOXES. As soon as you run out of boxes, give our office a call on (021 4872405) to request more boxes, tape, packing paper or bubble wrap. Our surveyor will usually supply you with more than you need but just in case you run out it’s not an issue.
• PACK CLEVER. Do not make the mistake of packing large delph or linen boxes full of books. Books are heavy. Lots of books are extremely heavy. When a box is overloaded with heavy items the bottoms tend to break or bulge and they can cause stacking issues on the truck.
Use smaller book boxes for books, CD’s, cutlery, etc. Do not pack books with breakables. Use cushions or pillows to pack around awkward items such as lamps, clocks, and pictures. Wrap all high value and precious items with extreme care. Always place plates, dishes, and glasses vertically in boxes and wrapped in packing paper or bubble wrap. If you have any worries give us a call.
• LABEL ALL BOXES CLEARLY. If you want a seamless transition to your new residence then clearly labeling each box is essential. Our crew are hugely experienced but if the boxes are not labeled it will hinder the speed of the process. Make it plain and simple and leave the rest to us.
• KEEP IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS WITH YOU. Passports, medical cards, prescriptions, etc. If you want to have quick access to important documents or if you are moving abroad it is best to keep these in a separate bag or case.
• PACK AN OVERNIGHT BAG. A change of clothes, your toiletries, phone chargers, towels, sheets, snacks, and water are a godsend when waiting for your boxes to be unloaded. Keep the kids entertained with fully charged iPads or books to read. And don’t forget the kettle!
• TAKE A PICTURE OF DEVICE CABLES BEFORE UNPLUGGING. Before you unplug or disconnect any electronic devices, take a quick snap of the wiring set up. This will allow you to reconnect much easier and quicker in your new home. It is also a good idea to separate cables into bags and label them for which devices they are used.
For more tips and advice download our handy free PDF guides to packing and moving at http://aaltonen.ie/services/domestic-moving-removals-cork/
Happy Packing 🙂